Thursday, September 28, 2023

Does God Laugh?



The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. Psalm 2:4


You have heard the saying: Laughter is the best medicine. 


"I made the joyous discovery that 10 minutes of genuine belly laughter had an anesthetic effect and would give me at least two hours of pain-free sleep," –Norman Cousins.


Norman Cousins actually put that saying to the test and credits humor and laughter for healing him of a life threatening illness.


Years ago two sisters broke out in laughter while attending their father’s funeral. I was a teenager at the time but even I understood sometimes we must laugh at the absurdity of life–and death. Laughter often comes out of our pain, suffering, and even our foolishness and stupidity. We laugh at ourselves and others. We laugh at the absurdities of both life and death. And the pain that comes from them.


But does God laugh? I have often wondered about that question. We know from scripture that God laughs at fools who deny Him and ridicules those who scoff at God.


The fool says in his heart,

    “There is no God.” Psalm 14:1


but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming. Psalm 37:13


This line of thinking brings me to Jesus, who is God manifest on earth. We know Jesus attended banquets. We know He attended at least one wedding. Of course Jesus was here on a very important mission and to teach His disciples, so it is not surprising that we don’t see much of the humorous side of Him in Scripture.


Nevertheless, I suspect Jesus had at least an ironic sense of humor. And we know He used hyperbole in His teachings to drive home His point. You can imagine some in the crowd smiling when He told them if their hand causes them to sin, to cut it off. Matthew 18:8. While sin is no joking matter, Jesus’s admonishment with its imagery must have seemed a bit humorous. They got His point or we would see Christian amputees everywhere we go today.


Then there is one that always sticks out in my mind when I question whether Jesus had a sense of humor.


James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means “sons of thunder”), Mark 3:7.


It is speculation, but I can’t help but wonder why He called them “sons of thunder”. His nickname for them. I suspect we get a tiny glimpse of Jesus’s ironic sense of humor in fixing that name upon the brothers. Were they loud and boisterous? Hard to keep quiet? Noisy in general? One of the mysteries that will be interesting to discover one day.


Humor often comes from pain. And God in His kindness does not laugh at our pain and misery, even though we often do so for our own sanity. I think there is a stronger force that supersedes laughter that God not only expresses, it comes as a gift from Him: Joy.


You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, Psalm 30:11


Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. Psalm 43:4


Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12


I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. John 15:11


And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. Acts:13:52


For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:7


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Galatians 5:22


I can’t remember the exact date I became a born again Christian. I was either 13 or 14 years old, or perhaps in between those ages. But one thing I will never forget was the joy of my salvation. I was overwhelmed with joy, a joy I had never experienced before. It reflected an eternal change in me that I will forever be grateful to God for. And joy upon salvation is not surprising as the Holy Spirit imparts joy to believers.


Does God laugh? Yes, at those who are foolish and wicked who believe they can either outsmart God or simply deny Him altogether. Did Jesus laugh? I strongly suspect so, but not much is recorded as Jesus was focused upon our pain in a different way. He was focused upon how to remove pain and to cure it by removing sin from our lives. One day we will receive that complete promise of being free from pain altogether in heaven, but He gives us joy to strengthen us now here on earth.


Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Religion?

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself f...